The end?

Part three of my car history brings me to my current car. Though this is the end of a story, it is definitely not the end of my journey. 

For the second time I began the process of searching for a car in Japan. Originally I thought I wanted to get a '98 or '99 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R, but I switched over to the dark-side. I decided on a Mitsubishi Evolution V or VI. After a few months of losing auctions, I landed a white, 1998 Mitsubishi Evolution V GSR. It already had white Enkei wheels off a Tommi Mäkinen Edition Evo VI, Tein coilovers, an intake and exhaust. I thought I would be the perfect base for a moderate power build. 

Over a month later the car arrived and I picked it up at the dock. It wasn't quite as stressful as the last time, but i did have to jump-start the car. It rumbled alive, shaking the bones in my ears. Suffice to say, it was loud. The car's smell reminded me of my previous JDM vehicles. It was cold but I rolled the windows down to hear it's mechanical symphony. I exited the shipyards and, with lack of better judgement, gave it full throttle though first, second and third. The turbo whistled, the exhaust screamed and the old-school Greddy mechanical boost gauge hit 1.4 Bar. Was this a mistake? I knew the stock car would have only boosted to around 1.1 Bar. 

This is where the problems start. The car was over-boosting and the ECU would cause a fuel cut in cold weather to protect the motor. Since I have had the car it has been winter, so it's cold. The car also idled a little rough and I decided to take it to a shop to figure out the issues, as I was having little success on my own. One shop told me I needed to get the ECU custom flashed and recommended me a shop who could tune it on a dyno. I called and made an appointment for the next week, but a couple days later a ticking began. My rod bearing had presumably decided to disintegrate. The mechanic confirmed this and upon further inspection found the crank had been damaged as well. The rod caps had been mismatched when a previous rebuild was completed causing premature bearing failure. This was terrible luck but the shop said they could replace the bearings and polish the crank. This was not meant as a permanent fix. They did the work so I could drive my car in the time being, but I decided to take the car to the next level. 

In standard form the Evo V had 280hp and 275 lb/ft of torque on a 2.0 Litre, turbocharged inline-four cylinder motor. In the upcoming months a 2.3 Litre stroked short-block with forged internals will be built for the car. It will be dyno-tuned afterwards with a few bolt-on breathing modifications and we will see what power it can make with the stock turbo. I'm excited to see how the car will perform and even more excited to finally enjoy the car I've owned since the beginning of winter. As you can see, this is not the end, but a beginning of what will most likely never be a finished product.